HPS Fees and RRPTs

My previous post to Radsafe has generated some confusion among NRRPT
members regarding membership in the Health Physics Society.  Even though
the NRRPT credential qualifies the applicant for Plenary membership, the
HPS application process still needs to be followed.  That means applicants
need to fill out an application form, complete with sponsors.

I have also been asked by several folks if HPS applicants currently being
processed by the Membership Committee are eligible for the discounted rate.
Since the actions on HPS membership fees and the NRRPT subsidy were not
officially taken by the HPS and NRRPT Boards until the January 1997 meeting
in San Jose, only applications received after that time are eligible for
the discounted rates.

To summarize, initial membership in the HPS is now $50.  Active NRRPT
members may join the HPS (initial membership) for $25 because of a subsidy
provided by the NRRPT as a benefit to its members.  Active NRRPT members
will have until the end of 1997 to take advantage of the subsidy.  Inactive
members of the NRRPT are not eligible for the $25 subsidy.  Also, the NRRPT
credential is sufficient evidence that one is qualified for Plenary
membership in the HPS.  However, the HPS application materials with
sponsors' signatures and a sponsorship letter still need to be submitted to
the HPS office for processing.  The application should be accompanied by
payment in the appropriate amount...the NRRPT and HPS have made internal
arrangements to validate eligible RRPTs.

I apologize for any confusion created by my previous communication on this
issue.

Sincerely,

Mike Boyle
Chairman, HPS Membership Committee