Re: Rad workers - but not trained

> From: "Sandy Perle" <sandyfl@ix.netcom.com>

> Franz wrote:
>
> > I wonder whether these individuals should not be trained
> > accordingly before becoming x-ray techs, nuclear medicine
> > techs, physicians, PhDs.....
>
> ...I do know
> that for the most part, hospital x-ray techs as well as nuclear
> medicine techs do receive educational training. My question remains,
> isn't radiation exposure, regulations, protection devices and
> radiation saftey taught?

In the US, if they are certified, these techs have attended lectures on the
above and have passed an exam.

> If these subjects were discussed, I don't
> believe as many of them would be calling asking the questions they do.

1)  Some x-rays tech is some states are not certified
2)  Some training courses are not very good
3)  If there is no continuing education it will all soon be forgotten

John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)