Re: Rad workers - but not trained

> From:          "Hans Richter" <HRICHTER@engr-serv.usc.edu>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Re: Rad workers - but not trained

> Radsafers
>
> I had a panoramic  view of my teeth  a few years ago.   The
> technician set it up nicely,    even put a lead apron on my chest and lap.
> She started the exposure,  but the xray machine was behind me,
> wereas the lead apron was in front of me.   I asked her about the
> placement...   she replied that she was taught to do it that way.  I asked
> her if she thought it made sense.  It didn't.

	Some  time ago I was subjected to a chest X-ray by a technologist
	who didn't realize that the automatic collimating device was
	malfunctioning, and was coning down to about half  the correct
	dimension  in the longitudinal direction. The comment really
	startled me, "Gee Sir, you must have really long lungs!"
	(I'm 5'-6".)

	Sadly, he couldn't recognize that only half the film was  exposed.
	Another tech had to show him how to override  the automatic
	collimator.

	If we teach by "rote" instead of by "comprehension" (which is
	what our current schooling systems do,) we  will continually
	be faced with  this lack of comprehension.

Frank R. Borger - Physicist - Center for Radiation Therapy
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu   ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-3697

"If C gives you enough rope to hang yourself, C++ gives you
enough rope to bind and gag the neighborhood, rig the sails
on a small ship, and still have enough rope to hang your-
self from the yardarm. - The UNIX-Hater's Handbook