Re: Rad workers - but not trained

Kent Lambert makes some excellent points in his posting.

> This is not to excuse misinformation (a dental x-ray is like a day in
> the sun) or improper procedures (failing to place the lead apron between
> the patient and the x-ray source, or disinformation (the
> radiopharmaceutical is a non-radioactive dye).

I believe there are two issues:

1. The workers own knowledge of what they are working with, i.e.,
    what the regulatory limits are, what the exposure report
    regarding their assigned "official dose of record" means to them,
    and how they can avoid unnecessary exposure.

2. Responding to a queation regarding radiation exposure, safety,
    etc. from a patient or general member of the public.

My original post was specifically directed to item 1, and as an
intangible, item 2 is brought to light. Based on many postings to the
Radsafe list, and private replies, there is an apparent lack of
understanding the basics in radiation safety, and/or the meaning of
exposure in general. While many programs teach the basics, the amount
of time spent on the various subjects is minimal. The majority of
time is spent teaching the basic hands on tools that they are
expected to accomplish. That is the main point I believe Kent was
making. They for the most part do that job extremely well.

In my opinion, there needs to be some continuing education program
whereby many subjects can be presented, i.e., radiation safety,
basics, etc. This is good for the institution and the employee both.
A well-trained and educated worker is more apt to do a better job,
feel better about themselves and their employer, for taking the time
to advance their knowledge level. In the area of radiation training,
I believe that this should be essential. At lesat the basics of what
a dose and an exposure mean to them, as an individual.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
 mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -