Re: Rad workers - but not t

Mike Bohan stated:

> I wonder how many "Rad. Workers" in a Nuclear Power plant could tell me what
> my dose would be if I took a stroll through the containment area without
> looking at their work permits for the professional HP Tech's numbers provided
> to them???  ?%^)

I think the key point here is that the rad worker in the nuclear
plant is informed of what the various dose rates, contamination rates
and what the transient issues are being worked. They are knowlegeable
ofwhere the information can be found, and more importantly,
understand what the dose information means, with respect to not only
what the regulatory limits are, but also where they are with respect
to site administrative limits and dose with respect to others within
their own department. The key is awareness, and it is all based on a
basic training and requalification program.

In addition, even if the individual didn't know what the dose rate
was in a specific area, they are trained to be looking at their
dosimetry periodically to ensure that the condisitons have not
changed. Again, it's a amatter of awareness.

I am not rrying to equate a power plant with a medical facility. The
one thing in common though is that the workers should be trained and
they shoud receive requalification training at least annually, even
if it's only 20 hours a year.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
 mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -