I-131 therapy and patient release

Doug wrote: " Andy,

I had a rad tech's wife pick up some I-131 contamination on folding
money
when she cashed her husband's paycheck at Oyster Creek in the mid
1980's.
This was discovered when he exited the RCA and set of the Eberline
PCM1A.
We ended up going to the bank and surveying the vault as a favor to the
NRC
and state inspectors while a nervous guard fingered his pistol!

As a result of the lessons learned GPU installed guard house radiation
detectors to catch radioactive contamination coming into the plant so it
can
be properly documented.  We placed personnel with radioisotope
administrations in temporary work locations outside the protected area.
If
your sewage system has a radiation monitor you might want to consider
alternate waste collection techniques, especially if your monitor alarm
trips an isolation valve.

Radioactive iodine is eliminated thru seating, exhaling the breath (
which
plates out on any cool metalic surface), saliva, and bodily wastes. The
amount of iodine can easily be calculated using the retention models in
the
rad health handbook, and the physician will release the initial intake
if
you get her consent release form in advance. You can expect residual
iodine
from 2 weeks to well over a month depending on the initial intake (
again
easily calculated)."
 ----------

 Can someone give me an idea of the contamination found in this
particular case or anycase like it ? (on the money)  How many Bq/square
cm ?  I would have
love to see the scene in the bank ! I'm asking that because I'm not sure
if we are not doing too much. But  I can understand the problem in a
nuclear power plant  where small contamination may mean bigger issues !

Stephane Jean-Francois Phys. Eng.
RSO
Merck Frosst Canada
stephane_jean-francois@merck.com
These are my own comments, have nothing to do with Merck Frosst  so if
you don't agree, please, don't stop
buying our medication...Blame me !  :-)  (In reference with a certain
intimidation case we know...)