Re: Rad workers - but not trained

Kent Lambert wrote

> Subject: Re: Rad workers - but not trained
>
> There has been a lot of criticism of x-ray and NM techs recently, but it
> seems that this criticism has not considered the principle purpose of
> these technologists - that is to provide diagnostic quality images of
> patients to physicians.  The techniques (for x-rays) and the
> administrated activity (for nuclear medicine) have been determined in
> advance, thereby relieving the technologist from making the risk v.
> benefit decision.  Asking a technologist for dosimetry information is
> akin to asking the attendant at Jiffy Lube to describe the chemical and
> mechanical properties of oil additives.

I find this discussion fascinating, as a Radiographer turned Physicist I must protest at the assumptions
that Radiographers the world over are "trained" to the same poor standards as seem to be prevalent in
the US.

In the UK all student Radiographers are rigorously educated in matters of radiation protection and are
able to quote representative doses for common examinations. Additionally, in the UK Radiographers
have responsibility for techniques and projections used, even as far as being able to cancel the whole
examination on the grounds that the apparent clinical benefit does not outweigh the risk (this usually
arises from inadequately completed radiological request forms).

> How many of the HP's can answer off the top of their head (i.e., if a
> patient asks) what the effective dose is for a dental bitewing
> radiograph?

There is nothing wrong with equating an examination dose to background dose. Here in the UK annual
background is 2.2 mSv and so a pair of bitewings is about 5 days and an OPG about 11.5 days. These
are terms that the patient will comprehend, it is pointless quoting entrance skin dose or dose area
product.

Chris Jeffery
Senior Lecturer in Radiation Science
Department of Radiography