Re: textbook correct?

Dave Gilmore wrote:

>     Somehow, from the various threads I have been following, I get
> the feeling that such x-rays are of low dose, and low doses have no
> harmful effects.  Is there any evidence that the doses received from
> modern medical and dental x-rays play a "significant role in cancer
> development"?

Depends on whom you listen to. When one considers that the average
person receives approximately 360 mrem from all sources of radiation
(naturally occuring and medical uses) ... and considering that a rad
worker can receive an annual TEDE of 5,000 mrem, and considering that
there are some areas in the world where the natural background is
equivalent to the annual TEDE limit, my opinion is that the answer is
a resounding NO!.  The issue of low dose has been kicked around over
the LNT ... I am of the opinion that the theory needs to be
"eliminated" as espoused by many more learned than I am.

When one considers that the cancer rate in the US is apporoximatey 1
out of approximately every 2.7 persons will get it (based on a
presentation from Dave Wiedus) .. many can point to nuclear power
plants and other forms of radiation as the causal agent. But the
statistics hold true for those who are not exposed to radiation in
any significant form, nor, do they work with radioactive materials or
are they exposed to ionizing radiation.

Exposure from modern medical procedures has decreased over the years.
My final point is that the benefit far outweighs the risks. The
patient is far better off receiving the exposure, either to diagnose
a problem, or to help alleviate it (thru therapeutic procedures).

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -