Re: Browner vis-a-vis Jackson

CERCLA does not contain an exemption for source, byproduct, and special
nuclear material.  Excluding sites with such contamination from the NPL
has been a matter of policy, not statutory authority.  In fact, there are
sites on the NPL that are NRC regulated facilities.  However, so far as I
know, the contamination at the sites that led to their inclusion on the
NPL was not radioactive, but other hazardous materials.

One site in New Jersey with which I am familiar was a former jet fuel
processing facility.  A later tenant of the site operated under an NRC
license.  There is contamination on the site both from the fuel
operations and the radioactive material operations.  The EPA has it on
the NPL for the fuel and the NRC is directing cleanup of the radioactive
contamination.

One possible source of confusion might be that site cleanup is done both
under RCRA and under CERCLA.  Of those two, the former exempts source,
byproduct, and special nuclear material, while the latter does not.  At
any operating site, there can be a significant amount of confusion over
which statute applies, even from within the EPA staff conversant with
each set of regulations.  In Oak Ridge several years back, the discussion
over which set of regulations applied to the reservation activity went on
for quite some time.

We can discuss the various site restoration/cleanup regulations pretty
much forever, but this should answer the direct question about a CERCLA
exemption.  Note also that there are CERCLA sites with NARM contamination
being pursued by EPA (i.e., those not licensed by the NRC).  Whether or
not they are on the NPL, though, I cannot answer offhand.

(usual disclaimer - personal opinion only and not binding on current or
former or future employers)

Mark A. Smith, CHP
web25@charweb.org