Re[2]: Rad workers - but not trained -Reply

     I generally agree with the opinions stated so far regarding x-ray/nuc.
     med. technician training. I can offer a slightly different perspective
     to this discussion, however.

     The State of New Mexico requires three hours of radiation safety
     continuing training every two years for dental personnel taking
     patient x-rays. I have applied to and have been approved by the State
     to do this; they will accept the CEUs from the course I teach. What I
     have found, however, is that most dentists/hygienists are not willing
     to pay enough to even cover costs for training that is required, let
     alone for "extra" training not required by regulation. I have tried to
     charge $30.00 to $40.00 per person for this course, and have had very
     few takers; they are not willing to pay this much. Since I hand out a
     booklet, which includes typical patient doses, answers to common
     patient questions, and other useful information, I need to charge to
     cover expenses. I even taught this course at the statewide dental
     hygienists' conference last year; the dental hygienists' association
     was only willing to pay $300.00 to train 400+ people in a hotel
     ballroom and they even thought that was too high!!! (Needless to say,
     I did not supply the booklets to all attendees.)

     Bottom Line: While some continuing training is a great idea, my
     experience is that people are not willing to pay for it.

     Steven D. Rima, CHP
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com