Re: I-131 PATIENT WORKING AT NUCLEAR POWER PLANT

Andy,

We had a worker last year that had about 25 mCi of iodine and we did not
allow access to the protected area.  First of all, he would definitely have
set off the portal monitors at the Primary Access Point.  Secondly he was
reading up to 800 mrem/hr on contact with his thyroid.

It took a bit more than a month for his 'dose rate' to get down to what we
felt were acceptable levels so we did not have to worry about his
contributing non-occupational dose to other workers dosimetry or his own.

This person was allowed to remain on-site as long as he performed tasks
outside the protected area.  We did not see any problems with any spread of
contamination.  He was however upset since he expected to be back within the
protected area within a week instead of the month that resulted based upon
the feedback he received from his physician.

I second Andy's support of Sandy Perle!!!

Howard

     Howard Conrad
     howcon@ds2.ncweb.com