Message subjects, CPVC

Will those of you who are interested in the thread,
        Re: Re[4]: textbook correct?
PLEASE send messages with the actual subject?  I would request that
generally, we should all check for accuracy of subject line before
automatically replying to e-mail...

Now, to avoid a pure waste of e-mail, I provide the following summary for my
question regarding the radiation hardness of CPVC a long while back.  Sorry
it took so long.
---------------------
Texts of Interest:
- AIP's "Atomic, Molecular & Optical Physics Handbook"
- CERN Report 82-10 (Compilation of Radiation Damage Test Data  Part III:
Materials used around high energy accelerators.)
-At SLAC we have an internal document CN-104 entitled "Radiation Resistance
of some Plastics and Insulating Materials" which takes data from radiation
damage studies done at CERN.  This document shows that PVC shows mild to
moderate damage at 10e7 rads and unusable at 10e8 rads.
- The most comprehensive compilation of radiation hard materials that I know
about  is held in the CERN reports 79-08, 79-04,82-10 and 89-12
-  Engineering Compendium on Radiation Shielding.  There is a table that
states the radiation tolerance levels for most plastics.

Other comments:
- approximately 100,000 rads to 2" thick HDPE before embrittlement
- it looks like most non-elastomer polymers have a damage threshold of about
10**6 Gray. Kapton is an order of magnitude better and Teflon 3 orders worse.

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
Newport News, VA
schwahn@jlab.org