RE: NRC'S NEW PATIENT RELEAS

Mike Bohan asked:
If this is true, then do prostate implants go out the window???  A
typical prostate implant patient gets about 40 mCi of I-125.  Typical
dose rates at 30 cm from the abdomen less than 0.5 mR/hr (0.005
mSv/hr).
Using the same Table 2 from the NRC's Draft Reg. Guide as used by the
original message (advertisement) author, a patient with a dose rate of
less than 1 mrem/hr at 1 meter from I-125 could also be released.
 Last I heard, the final version of the Reg. Guide should be out next
month.  I would wait for the Reg. Guide before I decide to look
elsewhere for dose calculation support.  After all, the software
previously discussed won't be out until after the Reg. Guide anyway.
(Could it be that the software will use the identical dose
calculations/assumptions as the Reg. Guide?)

Jeff Brunette
jbrunette@camcare.com