RE: Firefighters and Dosemetry in the UK.

We've started using EPDs with INEEL firefighters this year.  So far they have not had to use them in an actual accident situation.  The fire department seems quite happy with them so far.  The approach that I favor is wearing the EPD outside of the bunker gear and the TLD inside.  This would be the most conservative approach.  Having the EPD alarm early, but have the TLD shielded by the clothing the firefighter are wearing to measure the actual dose.  We use two different calibartion points for the EPDs at the INEEL, with the EPDs using different color face plates for the low and high energy calibration points.  The fire department uses the high energy calibrated EPD.  Fortunately, the regular  firefighter's bunker gear does a fair job of shielding the low energy photons.  It should be noted that the pocket dosimeters that were used earlier had these same issues involved in their use.