Re: Firefighters and Dosemetry in the UK. -Reply

Jamie Mallon stated:

> Sandy and others have discussed the downside of using EPDs to
> monitor firefighters.  Some of their points were well taken however I
> think it is inaccurate to apply these generalizations to all EPDs on the
> market.

To emphasize a point Jamie made, my intention was not to condemn all
EPDs, only to point out the issues that need to be considered when
selecting "any" dosimeter based on the valid expectations, be it an
EPD, TLD or other instrument. As you all know, and if not, you will,
ICN is a distributor for a major electronic dosimeter. I have never
mentioned its name, nor expounded on its virtues. It does meet many
of the important factors I raised, however, it doesn't satisfy all of
them. My personal opinion remains that for an overall dosimeter, one
that can be worn in any work environment, low energy to high energy
photons, low energy to high energy beta, there is no finer dosimeter
than the TLD, assuming that the processor has spent a significant
amount of effort to define an algorithm that provides a uniform
repsonse across the wide spectrum. An EPD can't do this, but can be
calibrated for regions of interest, if known in advance.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -