Re: radiopharmaceutical patient release

Generally, we treat Graves disease with 3 to 7 mCi.  150 mCi is a
therapeutic dose used for Rx of Thyroid Carcinoma.  In the first case
(graves disease) the patient has an intact thyroid gland.  The intent of
the Rx is to oblate the thyroid gland.  A general rule of thumb is that the
dose to they thyroid gland is 1 rad per microcurie taken up by the thyroid.
 NOTE:  This is not per microcurie administered to the patient.  If I
remember correctly, the uptake should be between 25 - 40%. In the second
case (thyroid carcinoma) most all (e.g. all visible) thyroid tissue is
surgically removed, thus the need for larger amounts of I-131.

	Patients with whom I have had involvement with their Rx have always
received instruction wrt what they can and can not do....e.g. air travel,
auto travel, how close they can be to young children, where and with whom
they can sleep ... etc.

	The case Kent Lambert describes must be that of a person that was
hopitalized for Rx of Thyroid Carcinoma and NOT Graves Disease.  I would
believe that 8 hours following administration 0f 150 mCi that a patient
could vomit 1 mCi.  But, the patient is in the hospital.  Release limits
require that the patient have a total activity of less than 30 mCi at the
time of release.  That is why you will see many prescriptions written for
29.9 mCi.  Then there is no legal need to hospitalize the patient.

JERRY THOMAS