Re: Queries

At 12:42 PM 2/19/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Radsafers,
>I apoligize if some of the postings I have made seem like an RSO with
>common sense should be able to answer. The reality is when dealing
>with other occupationally exposed union workers one must tread very
>cautiously. Many workers consider us among the" administrative type"
>who aren't necessarily concerned primarily with their safety.

>Pauline Jones
>pjones@kilcom1.ucis.dal.ca
===============================
The main reason for all the radiological misinterpretation, mismanagement,
misunderstanding, among people working with sources of ionizing radiation,
is known today by the name of lack of safety Culture.  Safety Culture means
learning attitude to protection and safety and to discourage unconcern. In
another word a set of principles, values and beliefs jointly shared by all
members of an organization, together with standards and expectation  that
influence the behavior and attitudes of the members of such an organization.
If the above is true, and I believe it is, then no effective radiation
protection culture yet exists, or the basic principles are not shared by all
levels of the hierarchical scale. In this direction, some factors should be
implemented, as the perception of risk, organization motivation, work
groups' dynamics, etc Today, the training courses to certify Operator and
Radiation Safety Officer should also include a chapter on Communication and
Public and Worker Psychological Understanding.
	I read the discussion of the subject query -- How many really fulfilled the
expectation of Pauline Jones?

	I do believe an important, very important topic for discussion is Safety
Culture,  its meaning and specifically:
Safety Culture and Radiation Protection
Safety Culture and Regulators
Human Factors in Safety Culture

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Consultant, Radiation Safety & Regulation
for developing country