Re: Physician Bashing

At 11:33 20.02.1997 -0600, you wrote:
>Just a quick point -
>
>Many radsafers are infuriated that physicians, dentists, etc., are
>ignorant of the facts concerning radiation dose and its effects.  Not
>once, however, did one of the "concerned" radsafers mention that they
>were going to do their part and educate his/her doctor, dentist, etc.
>
>Instead, we just continue to shake our heads and wonder why non
>health physicist know nothing about health physics!
>
>Ron Amoling
>RSO
>Joslin Diabetes Center
>amolingr@joslab.harvard.edu

Sorry Ron, you missed the point. Physicians, dentists etc. have during their
education courses in radiation protection etc. And they have to pass
examinations. This is a part of their qualification. As being discussed
extensively on radsafe they (or the technicians) are even obliged to have
fresh-up courses and further education. I remember the mail of a collegue
who was offered a few hundred dollars to hold a course in a hotel ballroom
to educate a few hundred technicians within a few hours and that this sum
was even regarded as being to high. (I hope I remember that correctly.)

Besides my argument that these physicians have been trained already and
should know about health physics I do not shake my head. It is my opinion -
not at all connected to health physics solely - that any person, who has no
knowledge of a certain scientific field should not make any statements in
this field, but at least consult persons who have the required knowledge or
send the person (the patient) to the experienced physician or expert. I do
not blame any physician, who knows too little about radiation matters, but I
blame any physician who would not consult a well certified and knowing
collegue.

Physicians earn their money by giving expertises. Would you ask any health
physicist about an expertise on your lung, kidney, whatsoever? I think that
dozens of radsafe collegues would "educate" their doctors (who actually
should have been educated at the universities they graduated from), if they
would pay for it. This cannot be for free. Or have you ever had a doctors
consultation for free? I have once consulted a doctor in Tucson. I paid some
eighty dollars for a look into my throut. He diagnosed a simple laringitis.
Returned to Vienna a severe mycosis was diagnosed........ Well this was not
life threatening.

Your arguments do not free the person in question from responsibility!!!!!

Franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 WIEN