Re: Protective Clothing flammability

Joyce Davis wrote:

> I am posting this for a colleague.
>  Last week an employee at Oak Ridge was fatally burned while using a
> cutting torch to remove equipment.  Information is sought on the
> flammability of cotton and other anti-c clothing normally used in industrial
> facilities.  What is the standard dress for welders working in a potentially
> contaminated environment ?  Where can further information on this
> subject be found ?  It seems this issue will arise more and more as
> nuclear and radiological facilities are demolished.  Are there standards
> committees wortking on such issues ?
>
> Please respond to Lester Clemons (lesterc@dnfsb.gov) or me
> (joyced@dnfsb.gov), or if appropriate on Radsafe.
>
> Thanks to all
>
> Joyce Davis
The DOE is presently investigating this incident.  What they have
said is that the welder was working at the Oak Ridge K-25 site on
2/13/97 using a cutting torch.  "The victim was totally engulfed in
flames when his two layers of anti-contamination suits over a pair of
coveralls burned.  All of the clothing was cotton.  The exact
source of ignition is currently unknown, however the burning of
the clothing and coveralls is a concern."

I would suggest that all that are interested in further details on
this unfortunate occurence, periodically check the DOE Operating
Experience Reports to see if a report has been published.  This may
be found at the following URL (its long, so follow it if this line
wraps):
http://www.tis.eh.doe.gov/web/oeaf/oe_weekly/oe_weekly_97/oe_weekly_97.html

Best regards
--
Judd M. Sills, CHP           |   Office: (619)455-2049
General Atomics, Room 01-166C|      Fax: (619)455-3181