Re: Protective Clothing flammability

Joyce, In the 1980's both Oyster Creek and TMI used a protective clothing
spec that included flammability for cloth coveralls.  The 70% cotton 30%
poly met the standard as I recall, and 100% cotton was even better.  Welders
also had to wear leathers, because cloth coveralls would smoulder even
though they would not sustain combustion.  You may remember several TV news
stories of childrens pajamas and living room furniture upholstery that
offgased and caused deaths when a match or cigarette was brought too close.
There was some legislation about clothing flammability and the industry
cleaned up its act somewhat, so everyone may have thought the problem was
solved. GPU should have the specifications and test results on file.

Doug Turner <turners@earthlink.net>