Re: Tom Martin Passes Away

Sorry but the complete copy of the Tom Martin story was truncated
by the system.  Here is the complete version.
Regards,
Vince Chase
Editor, NECHPS Newsletter
772ear@Delphi.com

Tom Martin Passes Away

The NECHPS has learned of the untimely death of Thomas G. Martin,
age 66,  on December 4, 1996.  Tom was one of the founders of the
chapter.  He graduated from Northeastern University and started his
career at Deaconess Hospital with Russ Cowing.  From there,  Tom
moved on to work for NASA at the Sanduskie, OH facility.

Tom came back to New England and MIT where he was Assistant
Radiation Protection Officer.  He later worked for the U.S. Army for
more than 30 years in health protection, accelerators and food
irradiation.  Tom produced many of the Army accelerator radiation
protection manuals and worked on measuring accelerator induced
activity. He brought his years of accelerator health physics expertise
back to academia by serving as an adjunct professor at the University of
Massachusetts-Lowell.  His many students remember his excellent
teaching and Irish wit.

An avid artist,  Tom made many trips to Ireland where he loved to put
the countryside on canvas.  A book of his paintings has been published.
Recently,  Tom's hobby was to accept commissions to paint Irish
ancestral homes as they looked a century ago.  Several members have
Tom's work hanging in their homes.

We in the health physics community will miss Tom.  We express our deepest sympathies to his
wife Beverly and daughter Dorothy.