depleted uranium ammo

Hi  Radsafers,

    I would appreciate learning of published material dealing with
the DOSIMETRIC implications of ammunition produced from depleted
uranium. The reason is as follows : during a recent visit to Serbia I
was give an account ,by their radiation protection scientists, of
analyses and dosimetric assessments of  armour-piercing rounds made
of  depleted uranium which were found in the Serbian Republic
apparently as a consequence of air bombardment of targets in the
recent past.  (Presumably in the aftermath of the Gulf War the desert
is also littered with similar rounds.)   A round had a reported
activity of  about 3.4 MBq  and for skin contact the equivalent dose
rate for alphas is reported as 0.50 Sv /hr.cm2 while that from betas
is reported as being about 1.4 mSv/hr.cm2 . Other dose estimates were
quoted for gammas. The main dosimetric concern expressed was for
situations where spent rounds would be picked up by the general
public (in particular by children) and kept for long periods as
souvenirs. Estimates were made that from prolonged skin exposure
(such as to a schoolboy keeping a spend round in a pocket) changes to
skin (necrosis and ulceration )  might occur after a period as short
as 80 hours.  I cannot vouch for these estimates  but would like to
know if this type of  dose assessment has been dealt with in the open
literature. As a Radon Ranger I am not au fait with the type of
dosimetric calculations quoted above. It would also be interesting to
know ,for example, the dosimetric implication for the people  (both
military and civilian) who regularly deal with such rounds as part of
their work or duties.

Yours sincerely,

James Mc Laughlin,Physics Dept,
University College Dublin.Ireland