Re: Cost Estimates

Wes,

Depends totally on the plan.  Some universities have professional
staff (and time!) able to oversee a complete D&D, some don't.  Quite
frankly, I'd still strongly recommend hiring a licensed D&D firm,
since they are much less likely to foul up the job and leave you with
a worse mess than you started.  D&D is not a place for amateurs.

NOTE:  This is only pertinent to "state" universities that are not
required to provide financial assurance in addition to the D&D plan
(due to the presumed deep pockets of the State).  Any other licensee
has to provide funds so that the regulator can hire a 3rd party to
come in and perform the D&D (the presumption is the company
can't/won't afford the D&D and declares bankruptcy).  And that will
require a firm with a RAM license.

Wes

> Date sent:      Mon, 24 Feb 97 09:36:12 -0600
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           Wes Van Pelt <VanPeltW@IDT.NET>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Re: Cost Estimates

> Wesley M. Dunn wrote:
> >

> > Also, one should be aware that any firm contracted to perform the D&D
> > job would need a Radioactive Material license that authorizes the
> > service.
> >
> > Wes
> >

> Wes,  I am confused as to why a D&D firm would need a Radioactive
> Material license. Could the decontamination and decommissioning job be
> done under the university's license, properly amended to include d&d and
> an approved d&d plan?  That is, all possession and use of radioactive
> material would be done under the university license.
>
> Wes

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us