Re: Cost Estimates

> Marti,
>
> One problem is that most D&D plans require outside contractors.   Note
that very few universities have the ability to perform a  complete D&D job
of any scope, nor will they have much luck hiring  qualified contract
workers at State payroll costs.  While Texas may  have payroll costs for
State employees, that may bear little  resemblance to the actual cost of
getting the job done.

> Also, one should be aware that any firm contracted to perform the D&D
job would need a Radioactive Material license that authorizes the service.

radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu > From:           Marti Brown
<mrbrown@bechtel.com> > To:             Multiple recipients of list
<radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu> > Subject:        Re: Cost Estimates

> > Contact your TAMU procurement organization and perhaps the budget and >
payroll office. Each State has thier own numbers regarding average hourly >
wage for most positions. For your estimate you should use the State of >
Texas numbers.   >  >  > Marti Poston-Brown > MRBROWN@Bechtel.com

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688 Deputy Director,
Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax) (Texas) Bureau of Radiation
Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us

Wes,

When I worked at Texas A&M, we has many services provided from outside
contractors. It has been my experience that a good procurement office keeps
 information on the standard cost of outside hourly wage employees. This
information is then used as a tool to evaluate the bidder's package to see
if he has inflated salaries to increase his profit margin.

Regarding the license,I have always thought it really depends on the
boundaries of the license held by organization that owns the material being
D&D. If the subcontractor performing the D&D work is overseen by the
licensee it has always been my understanding that a license for the sub was
not required. At least that was the position we took when I was at the NRC.
I would appreciate clarification if I have misunderstood. I have a copy of
the Texas Regs - so if you could just give me the reference.....Thanks.

Marti Poston-Brown
MRBROWN@Bechtel.com