Re: Lapel Air Sampling and Monitoring

A problem with modifying dust samplers in this way can be that you
collect an inappropriate size fraction, as you are only interested in
specific size fractions when doing air monitoring for dusts. Although
I must note that there can be significant problems with getting adequate
detection limits for non radioactive dusts also.

Michelle Wakelam
Michelle.Wakelam@ADM.monash.edu.au

> Date:          Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:29:44 -0600
> From:          Robert.Morris@DOEGJPO.COM (Robert Morris)
<snip>
>      One major problem when using lapel air sampling for radionuclides is
>      finding personal pumps that move enough air to achieve required
>      detection limits.  The best I have been able to find are Buck Pumps
>      that pull nominally 7 to 8 Liters/minutes.  Another problem is the
>      filter holder.  Typical IH particulate cassettes are only 25-mm
>      diameter, so after several hours of sampling, the particle load is
>      thick and significantly absorbs alpha radiation.  Open-faced 47-mm
>      holders are normally made of metal and designed to be mounted on a
>      wall.  You can get a concussion by having one of those bounce up and
>      hit you in the forehead.  I have found plastic 47-mm in-line filter
>      holders from Millipore, after a machinist cut off the upstream cowl,
>      to be a good an open-faced holder.
>  <snip>
>
>      Robert Morris, CHP, CIH
>      WASTREN-Grand Junction
>      2597 B3/4 Road
>      Grand Junction, CO 81503
>      970/248-6704
>      rmorris@gjpomail.doegjpo.com

Michelle Wakelam
Occupational Hygienist and
Assistant Radiation Protection Officer
Occupational Health, Safety and Environment
Monash University,
Wellington Road,
Clayton, Victoria, 3168
Australia