Re: La Hague1

Sandy Perle wrote:

> Could it not be that the same dose to the child is a greater
> percentage, due to body weight, and therefore, the effects are more
> significant? I recall that with internal exposure, especially from an
> iodine release, for PARs provided in an emergency situation, the risk
> was assumed to be double for a child when compared to an adult, due
> to the uptake in the thyroid. However, I do not know if there is
> similarity in this particular issue being discussed.

Clearly the internal dose to an organ would be higher per unit activity
in the organ for babys and children than for adults because the mass of
the organs is less.  But, the statement to which I refered talks,
apparently, about external radiation, not internal.  So, although I
agree with your statements about internal exposure, that does not seem
to be the subject under discussion here.  Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov
(until 2/28/97)