Re: La Hague1

> I always thought that dose is energy per unit mass and that a rem from
> external dose to a baby is the same as a rem external dose to an adult.
> Is that not so?  Maybe something got lost in translation.  I cannot
> believe that the National Research Council would not have the correct
> concept.  Comments?  Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov (for four more days)

Could it not be that the same dose to the child is a greater
percentage, due to body weight, and therefore, the effects are more
significant? I recall that with internal exposure, especially from an
iodine release, for PARs provided in an emergency situation, the risk
was assumed to be double for a child when compared to an adult, due
to the uptake in the thyroid. However, I do not know if there is
similarity in this particular issue being discussed.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -