Re: Nuclear Powered aircraft

It was a very highly modified B-36 strategic bomber.  The reactor on board had
nothing to do with powering the aircraft.  Since the engines were those normally
used on a B-36, the quietness was not a function of the experimental nuclear
equipment, which was primarily to test shielding and other issues of flying a
reactor.

By the way, at the HPS Summer School this year, which is on non-ionizing
radiation, the Wednesday classes will be practical demonstrations at Brooks AFB
here in San Antonio. Lunch will be at Brooks Club, and the speaker will be John
Mitchell, whose topic will be his experiences with developing the US nuclear
aircraft. Should be quite interesting.

jal (at Brooks AFB TX)

Just last week A&E's aircraft was the Nuclear Powered US aircraft. This was
as someone said an aircraft with 6 pusher engines. There was shielding in
front of and in back of the reactor, which was in the tail. There was no
shielding to the sides. The aircraft did indeed fly, although it took off and
landed under regular power. I did not watch the entire show, as I had to go
out, but the pilot said it was so quiet, that they didn't even know the
engines were running.