Re: nuclear powered airplanes -Reply

Jim:  If you have not already done so, contact Bob Boyd, probably retired
now from GA State as the RSO.  To my recollection, he used to work for
Lockheed when they did the Dawsonville work.  REGARDS  David

At 07:57 AM 26-02-97 -0600, you wrote:
>All this discussion about the nuclear aircraft program has
>prompted a question: does any have (or know where I can
>find) information on the role of the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft
>Laboratory (GNAL) in Dawson County, GA. GNAL was
>operated by Lockheed under contract to USAF.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jim Hardeman, Manager
>Environmental Radiation Program
>Environmental Protection Division
>Georgia Department of Natural Resources
>4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
>Atlanta, GA 30354
>(404) 362-2675  fax: (404) 362-2653
>Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us
>hardeman@mindspring.com

>02/25/97 15:03 >>>
>There is an interesting website at:
>
>http://www.oz.net/%7Echrisp/ebr.htm
>
>that provides information and pictures about the airplane
>reactor development and testing program. It was nothing
>similar to a Nautilus class PWR. It does not mention whether
>they ever actually flew one or not, but many years ago I
>worked with a retired Air Force Officer that worked on the
>program. I don't remember him ever saying that they flew one;
>they just did extensive testing from what he told me.

David W. Lee
Radiation Protection Policy
& Programs Analysis Group (ESH-12)
Los Alamos National Laboratory