nuclear powered airplanes -Reply

All this discussion about the nuclear aircraft program has
prompted a question: does any have (or know where I can
find) information on the role of the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft
Laboratory (GNAL) in Dawson County, GA. GNAL was
operated by Lockheed under contract to USAF.

Thanks.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675  fax: (404) 362-2653
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us
hardeman@mindspring.com

>>> Steven Rima <Steven.Rima@DOEGJPO.COM>
02/25/97 15:03 >>>
There is an interesting website at:

http://www.oz.net/%7Echrisp/ebr.htm

that provides information and pictures about the airplane
reactor development and testing program. It was nothing
similar to a Nautilus class PWR. It does not mention whether
they ever actually flew one or not, but many years ago I
worked with a retired Air Force Officer that worked on the
program. I don't remember him ever saying that they flew one;
they just did extensive testing from what he told me.