Re: Request of Information

All this is true, but doesn't deal at all with the confounding factors of
other pollutants in the early mines, which have been found to be MUCH more
toxic/carcinogenic than radon. So if miners don't get ANY lung cancer unless
they smoke, its not radon, but its also not, eg, SiO, etc alone. But if the
smokers get lung cancer at rates higher than non-miner smokers, and SiO at the
concentrations in early mines is many times more toxic/carcinogenic than
radon, why are we justified in ascribing the "cause" to radon?

Then, *even in the smokers*, there is no excess lung cancer in the vast number
of miners exposed to less than about 1000 times average home-radon
concentrations! Yet we ascribe fear of radiation to radon in home
concentrations in order to con the public. (Kind of like the radium-exposed
population: the "model" ignores all the 95% of the 1000s of persons in the
population below the then-estimated 50 uCi systemic Ra uptake, about 250 uCi
ingestion, equivalent to about 1000 rad to the bone, to draw a straight line
to zero. Scientifically disingenuous :-)  Then we set a 5 pCi/L drinking water
limit, more than 100,000 times below the 250 uCi ingestion for a lifetime
(though the dial painters and medical patients, etc usually got most of theirs
in a year or 2.

But:  Why only "mis-treat" the radium population when the radon population can
generate so much more "interest"? small investment, large return  :-)

Thanks.

Regards, Jim