Re: Children of Chernobyl

Dear Steve:
     We report on the matter in Environmenal Health Perspectives for
children and adults immigrating to Israel vol103: 936-941, 1995.  Dr.
Ella Kordysh is the Senior author.  In general, loss of hair due to
radiation exposure is reversible.  Referring to the two months after
exposure, hair loss was reported by Males in 7 adults,(6.5%) in the more
exposed area  and in 10 (6.1%) in the less exposed area. For females
the frequency and (Proportions) were 19 (9.5% ) in more exposed and 28
(9.1) from less exposed.  For male children from the more exposed area 3
(2,0%) and 1 (0.8%) from less exposed; for girls 7 (4.1%) in the more
exposed and 7 (4.8) from the less exposed areas.  Since the criteria for
more and less exposed weere based on 137Cs in soil, we wouldn't expect
direct effects of such radiation.  More relevant for adults would be
history of hair loss in relation to exposure among clean-up workers
(liquidators). This report is in print, Int. J. Occup. and Environ.
Health. gjohn @BGUMAIL.BGU.AC.IL
John Goldsmith, M.D., Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Israel