Re: Housing versus Radon Issues Again

Dear Steve:
     You are right.  The original estimaates of miner's radon and lung
cancer associations  of which Ted Radford was a leading investgaor did
not take into account the additional cancer risks of silica exposures.
The reasons are simple; the carcinogenicity of silica had no yet been
generally recognized.
	This is not to say that radon may not be carcinognic, but that
all of the carcinogeniciy among uranium miners may not be due to radon.
      Murray Finkelstein writing in Health Physics ,vol 69:396-399
in 1995 "Silicosis, Radon, and Lung Cancer Risk in Ontario Miners"
provides a reanalysis for the joint effect of silica and radon in a sample
of Ontario miners with silicosis.  While in a matched case-control study
cumulative radon exposure was associated with lung cancr risk ( increase
in odds ratio of 0.4% per WLM,) When silicosis was added to the model,
silicolsis was a highly significant factor for lung cancer (Odds Ratio
6.99, with 95% Confidence interval of 1.91-25, and the risk factor for
Radon was diminished (incrase in Odds Ratio -0.5% per WLM; 95% confidence
limits -1.4% to 0.4%)  He writes " This finding suggests that additional
study is warranted before concluding that radon risk factors derivd from
mining populations do not need to be modified for application to the general
population".  Samet et al. in a case-control study of New Mexico Uranium
miners found no association between radiographic silicosis and lung
cancer and concluded that silica exposure should not be regarded as a
major uncertainty in extrapolating radon risks from miners to the
genertal population."  (Samet et al. Health Physics 66:450-453, 1994)
 Silica could be less of an exposure problem in New Mexico than in
Ontario.There are, of course arguments as to what model we
should use for evaluating the joint effects of silica, radon and smoking.
We don't yet have the answer, but I doubt that the simple extrapolation
of miner's lung cancer-radon association to the general population will
continue to be widely accepted.
    John R. Goldsmith, M.D., M.P.H.  gjohn@BGUMAIL.BGU.AC.IL