Surface Contamination Release Limits

     I have made a couple of Posts to Radsafe on this topic already, and
     have received some very helpful responses (THANKS !).

     At one time (I believe??),  NRC and Agreement State licensees based
     their DIRECT and SMEARABLE unconditional release criteria (at least
     for tools and equipment) on Reg. Guide 1.86 (1974).  Since Reg. Guide
     1.86 only addresses close out surveys performed in support of license
     termination, this practice may have been somewhat of a "stretch."

     The NRC's Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards published a
     document entitled "Guidelines for Decontamination of Facilities and
     Equipment Prior to Release for Unrestricted Use or Termination of
     Licenses for By-Product, Source, or Special Nuclear Material," which
     expanded the scope of Reg. Guide 1.86 to cover unconditional release
     for purposes other than license termination (which is what I am
     interested in).  This document was apparently initially published in
     1982.  However, a document with the same title is referenced in NUREG
     CR/5849 with a date of 1987. Also, an article in the November/December
     1996 issue of RSO magazine (pg 19) referenced a document with the same
     title with a 1993 publication date.

     One of my regulators is unaware that the NRC has "officially" expanded
     the scope of Reg. Guide 1.86 beyond its original intent.  We have told
     him about the above mentioned document, but we only have a re-typed
     version of it, and with questions concerning even its publication
     date, we are afraid he may still be skeptical.

     Could someone provide me with a copy of this original document?  What
     kind of document is this?  (its not a Reg. Guide, Branch Technical
     Position, HP Position Statement..... what is it!)  Also, what's the
     deal with the dates; has the document been revised since 1982?

     Thanks