Re: Melange

At 09:57 AM 2/27/97 -0600, Al Tschaeche wrote:
>Messages on RADSAFE today sparked a thought that I thought might be worth
sharing. Almost all of the discussion was about the harmful effects of
>radiation.  The sparked thought is:  Why are we so concerned with harmful
effects?

>Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov

Al,  Unless we get valid information concerning risk, how can we perform a
cost/benefit analysis?

I thought one of the goals of the Health Physics Society is the protection
of people from unnecessary exposure to radiation? Leaving the discussion on
risk aside for now, what is the logic for not trying to reduce the source
of radiation that imparts the greatest effective dose equivalent to the
average individual?

Please feel free to respond directly to me.

Bill Field

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
R. William Field, Ph.D.
Department of Preventive Medicine