Re: Strontium Therapy on In patients

Most facilities that I am aware of also administer Sr-89 on an out-
patient basis.  We're currently clarifying our policies to explicitly
remove such patients (and their waste products) from under the
"license" and the regulations once it has been demonstrated that
these patients meet the appropriate release criteria and have
received "appropriate" patient instructions.

However, the facility is still responsible for any contamination
release surveys of the use facilities.  As pointed out by Mike Bohan,
contaminated floors, equipment, etc... won't decay away in a few days.

Wes

> Date sent:      Thu, 27 Feb 97 10:59:14 -0600
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           "Kenneth Douglass" <KDOUGLAS@WVUHSC1.HSC.WVU.EDU>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Re: Strontium Therapy on In patients

> Sr-89 is normally administered as an outpatient procedure.
>
> Our Radiation Safety Manual states since the normal administered
> activity is less than 5 mCi,  that no special precautions need be
> taken for an inpatient administration.

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us