Re: Nuclear Power and Peanut Butter

Ron Amoling wrote:

> gee...I can't imagine why a lay person doesn't understand the risk
> (if any) from exposure to radiation released from a nuke plant, an
> xray tube, etc.....We can't even agree!

That's why we need an ANSI standard on permissible dose levels.  A
standard is a written agreement.  The system we have  to set radiation
protection standards is broke!  There's no input from anyone but the
NCRP!  They are not God, although sometimes I think they think they
are.  ANSI is the only place where ALL interested parties can
participate.  I tried for years to get ANSI N-13 to write such a
standard.  But, the N-13 members, many of them from the federal
government, wouldn't because they all kowtowed to the NCRP.  I even got
the AAHP to request in writing, N-13 to write such a standard.  No
luck.  Maybe if a number of radsafers pressed N-13 and the HPS Standards
Committee to write such a standard, it would have some positive result.
Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov (for one more day)