Dose Standard Setting

NCRP does not set the Federal Standards for permissible
dose limits.  The standards are set under the power of the
former Federal Radiation Council, whose powers were
transferred to EPA when EPA was created.  EPA will
publish a draft rule based on recommendations by groups
such NCRP and ICRP but the standard is put through public
comment.  After the standard goes final, with any changes
as necessary due to public comment, other Federal
Agencies will modify their implenting regulations (such as
was done by the revising of 10 CFR Part 20 to meet the new
occupational dose limits and dose methodologies set forth
in the 1987 EPA dose standard).  These regulations again
are public rulemaking and may be commented on by the
public.  At this time, the EPA has not actually finalized (to
my knowledge) the Federal Radiation Protection Guidance
for Exposure to the General Public it noticed in the Federal
Register on December 23, 1994.  The previous Standard
setting for the Public was in 1960.

Christepher A. McKenney

My opinion is my own unless it pleases my management
and my agency may deny any knowledge my opinion!
<grin>