Re: Dose Standard Setting

Christepher A. McKenney wrote:

> NCRP does not set the Federal Standards for permissible
> dose limits.  The standards are set under the power of the
> former Federal Radiation Council, whose powers were
> transferred to EPA when EPA was created.  EPA will
> publish a draft rule based on recommendations by groups
> such NCRP and ICRP but the standard is put through public
> comment.  After the standard goes final, with any changes
> as necessary due to public comment, other Federal
> Agencies will modify their implenting regulations (such as
> was done by the revising of 10 CFR Part 20 to meet the new
> occupational dose limits and dose methodologies set forth
> in the 1987 EPA dose standard).  These regulations again
> are public rulemaking and may be commented on by the
> public.  At this time, the EPA has not actually finalized (to
> my knowledge) the Federal Radiation Protection Guidance
> for Exposure to the General Public it noticed in the Federal
> Register on December 23, 1994.  The previous Standard
> setting for the Public was in 1960.
>
> Christepher A. McKenney
>
> My opinion is my own unless it pleases my management
> and my agency may deny any knowledge my opinion!
> <grin>

Very interesting, Christepher. I agree. But this contradicts what I
usually hear from the NRC, ie, "We aren't responsible for these
(ludicrous, irresponsible) standards. We must conform to pronouncements
of the ICRP, NCRP, and BEIR". (Of course: 1.NCRP says the opposite :-);
and 2. NRC, EPA, DOE, and FDA pays the NCRP, and its Members, through
"research" and academic and "training" programs $Millions/year!

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com