Re: Wing: Descriptive Epidemiology...

> John, Others, Is EHP a publication of NIEHS? Is it somehow
> editorially independent, or is this an actual "gov't publication"?

Yes, EHP is an NIEHS Publication.  It is not a government publication in the
sense that its contents do not require NIEHS approval nor do they necessarily
reflect NIEHS policy.  How "editorially independent" they are in reality could
only be assessed by someone who has been on their editorial board.

As to peer-review in EHP.  The rigor of the peer-review depends on the type of
article, and since the TOC of the issue is not available even on the web, I
can't tell whether this was considered a "research" article or a
"perspectives" article.  If this was considered a "research" piece, it would
have gotten three reviewers, while if it was a "perspective", it might not
have been reviewed at all.  Even if it was peer-reviewed, the reviewers would
probably not have included anyone from the Hatch et al papers, and might not
have included a radiation epidemiologist.

EHP is a decent journal, but it is not a first-line journal even in
environmental epidemiology.  I find most of their research articles adequate,
but unremarkable.  If have often found their editorial, perspective and
commentary articles to be rather flaky.

What I find most unusual about how EHP handled Wing et al are:

1)  The advance press release.  This release went out on a Saturday targeted
for Monday press coverage.  This made it impossible for most reporters to get
any independent commentary.  The printed version of the actual article is
still not available.  The WWW version was not available till some time late
Tues or early Wed.  The release method appears geared to maximize press
coverage and minimize critical analysis.  One thing I do not know is whether
the press release came from EHP of whether it came from the authors (anyone
have the press release -- it will say).

2)  The rather intemperate nature of the language in the article.  Why didn't
the editors require them to tone it down?  Editors can, and frequently do,
require such changes.

3)  The extensive reliance in the article on anecdotal sources, and on sources
that are largely unavailable in the US.  Most editors do not allow such
sources in research articles.

John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)
Radiation Biology Group
Medical College of Wisconsin