Re: Sr-89 Inpatients

Sr-89ers:
I apologize if my initial response to the question was a litle too
flippant. In my defense, that is what our manual states and - to my
knowledge - all of our Sr-89 administrations have been outpatients.

What worries me, now that the subject has been raised, is that they
will not tell me if they do an inpatient Sr-89. I think the
precautions you have discussed are appropriate, considering the
potential for contamination and the long half-life. The situarion is
midway between I-131 and I-125, with little or no external exposure.

I was involved with one patient who had received P-32 and then went
to surgery a couple of days later. They covered the floor with
absorbent paper and wore rings. I collected body fluids and
contaminated waste and held them for decay. There wasn't any
contamination of hte room or instuments. Universal precautions are a
blessing since they don't need to do anything different to avoid
radioactive contamination.

We have also seen the OR procedures involving Tc-99m. The NM people
had to be convinced that this was different than injecting someone
for a bone scan and sending them back to their room. We can hold
waste materials for decay, but surgical specimens are different. I
found out ina hurry that Pathology guards them as jealously as we
guard the radioactivity. We agreed to set up a shielded area in
Pathology to receive these specimens and hold for decay.

As usual, the discussion on Radsafe is informative. I greatly
appreciate the interaction and hope to add something useful as well
as benefiting from it.

Ken

Ken Douglass,
RSO