Definition of Epidemiology

BLC = Bernard L. Cohen <blc+@pitt.edu>
DJS = Daniel J. Strom <dj_strom@pnl.gov>

It is a test of a specific theory. Tests of a theory are at the heart of
"the scientific method" and apply rigorously to all of science. The
baggage attached to ecological studies does not apply to, or affect such
a test.

determinants of health-related states or events in specified
populations, and the application of this study to control of health
problems.  "Study" includes surveillance, observation, hypothesis
testing, analytic research, and experiments.  "Distribution" refers to
analysis by time, place, and classes of persons affected.
"Determinants" are all the physical, biological, social, cultural, and
behavioral factors that influence health.  "Health-related states and
events" include diseases, causes of death, behavior such as use of
tobacco, reactions to preventive regimens, and provision and use of
health services.  "Specified populations" are those with identifiable
characteristics such as precisely defined numbers.  "Application to
control..." makes explicit the aim of epidemiology - to promote,
protect, and restore health (Last 1995).

the heart of "the scientific method" and apply rigorously to all of
science.  The baggage attached to ecological studies does not apply to,
or affect such a test.

baggage attached to ecological studies" does not apply to a study for
which there are no individual exposures, no individual confounder
measures, and no individual bias measures associated with individual
health outcomes.

See Figure 3 of Lubin and Boice (1997) for an example of how Dr. Cohen's
results are statistically rejected by more cogent studies.

theory does not require data for individuals.  If Strom disagrees with
these demonstrations, he should say specifically why.  I can very easily
explain why data for individuals is needed to determine a dose-response
relationship; why can't he explain why data for individuals is necessary
to test an LNT theory?

cancer deaths apply only weakly to the individuals who died of lung
cancer in those counties.  Most importantly, many other causes of lung
cancer (i.e., confounders) that may be associated with (covary with)
geographic location, e.g., air pollution, different genetic make up, and
lifestyle factors (especially smoking), cannot be controlled in any
meaningful way despite Dr. Cohen's attempts and his claims.  Dr. Cohen's
study is useful for generating the hypothesis that radon exposure is
causally related to lung cancer (one way or the other).  That hypothesis
has been, and is being, tested by more cogent epidemiologic methods.
These simple statements have been made repeatedly in print (see, e.g.,
Lubin and Boice 1997), but Dr. Cohen doesn't accept them.  His
persistence doesn't change the truth of the simple statements.

See Lubin and Boice (1997) and Lubin et al. (1997) for good recent
discussions.  Stay tuned for BEIR VI, due out this spring.