non-traditional education

<< My guess is that the anonymous author graduated from one of those
 "legitimate" degree programs, unlike myself who worked 50 to 70 hours per
week, found time for family needs, spent three years in night class to get
that less legitimate degree from an accredited school's non-traditional
program, and (hold your breath) took advantage of the American
 Council of Education's 30 semester hour credit recommendation for the NRRPT
  credential. >>

Mike: I was not referring to education obtained from night classes in the
message that prompted your reply. From what  I have learned about the
subject, there is a range of quality in the non-traditional programs, from
worthless to having some value.  I also am involved in what might be called
non-traditional education by teaching short courses (commercial ones) in an
attempt to fill the needs of people who work full time and still have a need
to learn new things.  In my opinion there is a place for education that is
obtained outside of a university.   My complaint is with those organizations
that are no more than diploma mills and who may even give a "degree" in
Health Physics regardless of whether they know anything about it or not.  I
know of one "university" on the West Coast that has done that and it clearly
is just a scam.  Since my user name seems not to have been transmitted
through your email software, I will attach my name and email address below.
 By the way, there are many different types of "accreditation" and no Federal
law that gives any meaning to the term.  There are not many legal barriers
that prevent the establishment diploma mills, so it is a matter of "buyer
beware".  I don't mean to imply that every non-traditional program is a
diploma mill, but some are.  I recently read of a program in South Africa,
called "distance learning" which seems to be a very legitimate program.  I
think it involved education in chemistry.  The students took only the
laboratory portion of the course in residence and the rest was by mail.  The
key factor in all of these programs has to do more with the intention and
motivation of the school rather than mode of instruction.

                                                      Robert Holloway
                                                      Nevada Technical
Associates, Inc.
                                                      Email Address: