Degreed HP Techs

Holloway3@aol.com  wrote:

>In evaluating the quality of education of HP Techs, a great deal of attention
>should be given to the quality of the institution.  There are a large number
>of non-residential "educational" programs in this country whose primary
>function is to imitate, at least on a superficial level,  the legitimate
>educational institutions.  Their real purpose is separate the student from
>his or her money and in doing so, the inducement is some sort of a "degree"
>that can be obtained with far less effort and expense than is necessary in
>more legitimate degree programs.

To which M. Boyle responded:

>My guess is that the anonymous author graduated from one of those
>"legitimate" degree programs, unlike myself who worked 50 to 70 hours per
week, found time for family needs, spent three years in night class to get
that less legitimate degree from an  accredited school's non-traditional
program, and (hold your breath) took advantage of the American Council of
Education's 30 semester hour credit recommendation for the NRRPT  credential.
>The cost of the education (er, ah, degree) was around $150/semester hour.
>After reading the thoughts of "Anonymous," I now realize what a fool I have
been
>and that I should regret wasting my time, effort, and money on such a crazy
idea.  I should have known that the only way to get a real education was to
quit work and attend  a traditional school in the daytime. I wonder if I
should return my CHP certificate to the ABHP since I self-studied for the exam.

That's a sensitive spot if I ever saw one, Mike.  My two cents worth is this:

You have managed to earn a living, provide for your family, obtain
experience, education, qualifications and knowledge which have served and
continue to serve you well.  With that background, you are likewise serving
the HP community well. Considering your efforts and contributions to your
profession (and your family), I understand the sensitivity you have towards
comments that seem to belittle those accomplishments based on nothing but
the fact that your education is "non-traditional".

My backgound is similar, but not as noteworthy.  I played the hand I was
dealt. And I feel like I've done ok so far with what I've had to work with.
So I can relate to your point of view from my own experience.  But getting
to the point:

I think it's more important to consider an individual's skills, knowledge,
and willingness to apply them than it is where they got their degree.  We
all have different situations and backgrounds that take us through different
paths.  It's what we make of our opportunities that makes the difference.
Many 'educated' folks from prestigious institutions are as dumb as rocks.

I thought this thread was associated with HP TECHS anyway, not scientists.
Who do you want out in the field when things go bad?  You don't care where
he/she graduated from at that point.

Any HP Tech that has worked as hard as Mike to learn all he can, advance
himself within the profession, and promote the profession with enthusiasm
deserves as much respect as any PhD(and more than most).  People who
'attach' themselves strongly to their institution or degree are often
lacking enough individual merit to stand on their own.  (Is it 'John' or
'John from MIT'?)

Nobody wants to be ripped off.  But most people who take advantage of the
non-traditional educational opportunities out there do so because there is
simply no other way to obtain the academic education they desire.  My
experience has been that most people who pursue this route do so after
careful consideration of the expected outcome, the expense, and the value of
the degree they are trying to obtain.

All of this of course is my opinion and is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Keith Welch
Newport News VA
welch@cebaf.gov