Re: minigenerators

Jack Couch reports the Oxford Cs-137/Ba-137m minigenerator releases "a
lot" of 30-year half-life Cs-137 as well as the 1.3-minute half-life
Ba-137m.  I too have found this to be true.  Oxford, however, claims no
Cs-137 is released if the correct EDTA solution is used.

Have others observed this?  Many colleges and high schools are using this
generator intended for student use without taking any precautions for
long-lived radioactive waste.

Jack, can you quantify the Cs-137 activity in your samples from the Oxford
minigenerator?

Michael Thomason, Director of Physics Learning Laboratories
University of Colorado, Dept of Physics, Box 390, Boulder CO 80309-0390
MWF 303 -492-7117   TTh 303 492-8313   thomason@aeinstein.colorado.edu
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/