Re: Definition of Epidemiology

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Daniel J Strom wrote:

> BLC =3D Bernard L. Cohen <blc+@pitt.edu>
> DJS =3D Daniel J. Strom <dj_strom@pnl.gov>

> It is a test of a specific theory. Tests of a theory are at the heart of =
>
> "the scientific method" and apply rigorously to all of science. The =
>
> baggage attached to ecological studies does not apply to, or affect such =
>
> a test.

> determinants of health-related states or events in specified =
>
> populations, and the application of this study to control of health =
>
> problems.  "Study" includes surveillance, observation, hypothesis =
>
> testing, analytic research, and experiments.  "Distribution" refers to =
>
> analysis by time, place, and classes of persons affected.  =
>
> "Determinants" are all the physical, biological, social, cultural, and =
>
> behavioral factors that influence health.  "Health-related states and =
>
> events" include diseases, causes of death, behavior such as use of =
>
> tobacco, reactions to preventive regimens, and provision and use of =
>
> health services.  "Specified populations" are those with identifiable =
>
> characteristics such as precisely defined numbers.  "Application to =
>
> control..." makes explicit the aim of epidemiology - to promote, =
>
> protect, and restore health (Last 1995).

	---I don't think the naming is worth arguing about. I was using
a more pragmatic definition of epidemiology as "what epidemiologists do".

> the heart of "the scientific method" and apply rigorously to all of =
>
> science.  The baggage attached to ecological studies does not apply to, =
>
> or affect such a test.

> baggage attached to ecological studies" does not apply to a study for =
>
> which there are no individual exposures, no individual confounder =
>
> measures, and no individual bias measures associated with individual =
>
> health outcomes.  =
>

> See Figure 3 of Lubin and Boice (1997) for an example of how Dr. Cohen's =
>
> results are statistically rejected by more cogent studies.

	---The following is my response to the Lubin-Boice paper, accepted
for publication by JNCI. Note that it makes the same error that Strom is
making here.

	I am writing in response to the scathing attacks in the January
1997 issue of JNCI by Lubin and Boice (1) and by Samet (2) on my paper
"Test of the Linear - No Threshold Theory of Radiation Carcinogenesis for
Inhaled Radon Decay Products" (3).
	Their most flagrant error is in grossly misinterpreting the
purpose and design of my study which, as should be obvious from the title,
was to test the linear - no threshold theory (LNT) of radiation
carcinogenesis. A universally accepted and time-honored procedure for
testing a scientific  theory is to develop it mathematically to derive
predictions that can be compared with experimental observations, and then
make that comparison. In my paper it was shown, utilizing rigorous
mathematics, that LNT predicts that a plot of lung cancer rates in U.S.
Counties (corrected for smoking prevalence and other confounding factors)
vs. average radon exposure in those counties, r, should have a positive
slope of +0.20 per Bq/m3; it was shown that this prediction is not, in any
way, affected by "the ecological fallacy". It was then shown that the plot
of observational data has a negative slope, -0.21 (+/- 0.02) per Bq/m3, a
20 standard deviation discrepancy with the prediction of LNT. My paper
gives very extensive treatments of data uncertainties, of potential
confounding factors (including elaborate modelling), of weaknesses in
ecological studies, etc, and finally concludes that LNT fails very badly
in the low dose region of my test, and therefore, in accordance with "the
Scientific Method", LNT should not be used in that region.
	Lubin and Boice (1) and Samet (2) completely ignore my test of
LNT, which is what my paper is all about, and choose to interpret my plots
of county-average data as risks to individuals, despite my warnings
against such an interpretation because it is logically invalidated by "the
ecological fallacy". In fact Fig. 3 of the Lubin-Boice paper, a plot of
their data on relative risk (RR) vs. radon exposure to an indivdual, r,
shows what they call my results as a straight line extending to 340 Bq/m3
at which point there is a large discrepancy with their data. Actually, my
largest r data point (which is statistically insignificant) is at r=230
Bq/m3, and the linear portion of my data ends at about r=120 Bq/m3.
	Another problem with their interpretation of my results is that my
analysis determined the slope of my data points without regard for the
intercept at r=0, and hence the line Lubin and Boice show as my results
can be  shifted up or down slightly on their plot. If this were done,
there would be relatively little discrepancy with their data. To the
extent that any discrepancy remains, it is easily explainable by the
widely recognized weaknesses of the meta-analysis technique they use, and
by the effects of "the ecological fallacy" on their distorted
interpretation of my data. There is therefore no justification for their
criticism of my paper.