Re: Sanctions for Late Film Badges?

At 01:35 PM 3/3/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Does your facility/institution have disciplinary action for individuals who
>don't return their film badges (either not on time or not at all)?  We're
>thinking about instituting a more specific policy that would allow
>disciplinary action against individuals, especially those who are chronic
>"late returners."

A department is assessed a $50.00 surcharge for dosimetry that is not turned
in within 2 months and 10 days from its due date.  If a badge or ring is
lost the "loser" must complete a form which describes their use of ionizing
radiation during the wear period of the lost dosimeter.  The completed form
is accepted as though the dosimetry was returned.  If an individual loses
more than 3 dosimeters in one year, they must complete the form but the
department will be assessed the $50.00.  Some departments are making repeat
offenders pay.  In 2 months after initiating this policy the return rate
rose from 80% to 99.7%.

>Also, we are in the process of revising some of our policies regarding
>absences by laboratory principle investigators (i.e., how much time can
>elapse before another authorized person must be named, etc.?).  Does your
>facility/institution have a specific policy on this issue?

We encourage each Authorized User (AU) to have one or more Assistant
Authorized Users.  The Assistants are approved by the RSC and meet essential
the same basic requirements as the AU.  If the AU leaves, the Asst.AU may
apply to become an AU.  If no AU exists, another Authorized User must take
responsibility for the lab (in writing) or all work with ionizing radiation
must stop immediatly.

>Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
>Mary Beth Taormina, M.S.
>Assistant Director/OEHS
>mtaormina@gems.vcu.edu

--------
Sim Shanks, RSO		        		shankss@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu
Georgetown University					(202) 687-4712
Office of Environmental Health and Safety	fax 	(202) 687-5046
3900 Reservoir Road,  N.W.
Washington DC  20007