From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Absorption Properties of Wood
Date: Tuesday, March 4, 1997 4:23PM

I need information regarding the absorption properties of wood with
radionuclides.  I have a large numbe of wood pallots and plywood, (mostly
pine) that need to be surveyed and released if possible.  Contaminants here
are primarily Tc-99, Uranium 234,235,238, and small amounts of Np-237 and
Th-230. The questions I need answers to are as follows:

1.How deep into the wood will the radionuclide be absorbed?

2.Do the radionuclides concentrate in the wood or would you expect to see
more contamination on the surface than what has been absorbed into the wood?

3.Is there any calculation or rule of thumb that can be used to determine
"If you have X1 dpm/100 cm2 contamination on the surface, then you will
have X2 dpm at Y inches into the wood"

Please respond to vcz@cosmail5.ctd.ornl.gov

Thank you,

Tom Carver