Re: New Elements Named

> From:          "Michael P. Grissom" <mikeg@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       New Elements Named

> THE NAMES OF ELEMENTS 104-109 have finally been accepted
> by nuclear scientists and certified by the International Union of Pure
> and Applied Chemistry.  The delay over the names was caused
> partly by  rival claims to priority; the pertinent experiments
> rendered  mere handfuls of atoms.  Physics and chemistry students
> worldwide will now have to memorize the following additions to the
> Periodic Table: Rutherfordium (abbreviated Rf, element 104),
> Dubnium (Db, 105), Seaborgium (Sg, 106), Bohrium (Bh, 107),
> Hassium (Hs, 108), and Meitnerium (Mt, 109).  (The New York
> Times, 4 March 1997.)

	And poor Tom Lehr will have to rewrite his song _again_.
	With all those tounge-twisters, I really hope he does.
	Maybe he'd do it for  "A Prarie Home Companion."

Frank R. Borger - Physicist - Center for Radiation Therapy
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu   ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-3697

"The only problem with being 'over the hill,' is that you tend
to pick up speed on the downgrade!" - Erik Von der Blauen