Re: Biodegradeable Liquid Scintillation Cocktails

Ron Amoling wrote:

> Studies by instititions in my area have revealed that a number of the
> biosafe scintillation cocktails contain elevated levels of Mercury,
> thus rendering sink disposal illegal.
>
> Specifically, Amersham Biodegradable Counting Fluid BLS was analyzed
> and the sample contained 43 ppb of Mercury.  This exceeds our local
> (Massachusetts Water Resources Authority) effluent concentration
> limit of 1 ppb.

Ron and All,

All you need do is dilute the lsc with 42 parts of water (containing no
Hg). I am sure that the normal sewer flow will dilute this to well below
1 ppb at the effluent.  Am I missing something?

Cheers, Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates, Inc.